M U M B A I - A saga
We land up in “Mumbai”, for some personal work (I on a Saturday, and my family on a Sunday)
We finish up the work by 11 in the morning (Sunday) and decide to soul search Mumbai since we had time (Me had time till evening 7 and Family had time till the next day 2000)
First things First,
Mumbai is dirty (at least areas other than Mumbai city heart)
It seems like, if given a place they would be a contest to make the place filthy
There are areas in Mumbai – where there are many residential apartments, good roads but no ATM’s
They collect toll – for a piece of road which god alone knows why!!!
Roads are pathetic (maybe due to excess rain)
In an area like Dadar east – there is not a single Pay and Use Toilet facility
Interestingly surprising…!
Stay –
Walking out of Mumbai airport
I saw a Hotel Reservation counter – Tugged along to the counter and saw 2 ladies chatting over there handsets
After seeing me stand there for over a minute and staring at them with angry eyes, 1 of them leaned over and asked “Yes sir, are you looking for a Hotel?”
After all the arguments, discussions – They found me a place to crash the night at 1800 rupees (Including to and fro airport transfer, complimentary breakfast and a late check out)
Kaneria Presidency Hotel is the name of the place I ended up booking
We waited probably 40 mins for the taxi guy to turn up (We includes another family of 5, who where also going to the same place)
And turn up he did – with 1 Esteem for 6 people
Puzzled, I asked him how he planned to take all of us to the hotel with the huge luggage which the other family was carrying
He beamed out saying “Nahi sir, doosra gaadhi aarahi hai” (No sir- another vehicle is on the way) in a tamil hindi accent
After waiting for another 20 mins and after fighting with him- he arranged for an Innova
And luckily we did get to the Hotel
Hotel room was good – But old, very old
The view from the Hotel – One of the many slums of Mumbai
Facilities – Good facilities
House keeping – Precise and good (no bed bugs)
Food – Good but expensive
Places visited –
Went to Bandra – Worli sea link
Absolutely Marvelous….
Words would not justify what you feel when you stand on top of the Sea link and look at the never ending ocean
Beautifully done
I believe it would look magnificent in the night with the lights on (we made it to that place near about 1130 in the morning)
From there we went to Shivaji park Gymkhana – The place where the Little Master Sachin trained and perfected the art of slaughtering the bowlers in a game called cricket
I still insist – some parts of Mumabi are spick and span and exactly opposite to the dirty side of it
Time for Lunch – we headed on our way to Chembur
On the way we could not bear anymore and asked the Taxi person to stop at the best eatery near by
He stopped near one eatery, but there was no Toilet
But while getting over there a 100 meters down I saw a place called as “Khakori House”
I thought since it had a fancy name to it, it would have a toilet
But to my surprise it too did not have any
And when asked the waiter – I was told to go to a near by petrol pump
I went there and founf out that there were taxi drivers waiting in the queue to access the toilet
After a long search for toilet came back to the same place – Thankfully it was free
Back at Khakori House, ordered food
And surprise – surprise, Wonderful food
Chicken so soft as if it was made out of butter
Classy
Decent place, not too heavy on your pocket
From there we went to Chembur where my family planned to put up
After resting for some time we headed out to Siddi vinayak temple
I really could not make out what the real fuss is about
Mumbai wallas don’t know how to make Tea
Strange but true
Asked to be taken to an Irani Tea shop
But we were running late (Cause I had a flight to catch)
So gave up on the idea
Headed towards Juhu beach
Overly crowded – That’s all I can say
But still sitting there and staring into the sea and walking along the shore – I could feel a peace within
Had been a life changing day in the first half
And it happened in Mumbai, Now when I had to finish off my trip in Mumabi
The beach served as a right toast
All in Mumbai shall never be forgotten
Have been here many times during my childhood – But today will be remembered for a long time ahead